You’ve finally determined that the senior lifestyle is the right choice. Now you need to find a senior living community that meets your needs.
Moving into a senior living community is a big step. This is your next home, and you want to make the right decision. Finding a community that meets your needs takes time, research, and patience.
Many seniors question how to find that perfect community. According to recent statistics, there are 6,000 online searches related to senior living made every hour in the United States.
So how do you make the right choice?
Start by creating a list and setting up tours of various senior living communities in your area. To help you make the most of your senior living visits, here’s what to look for and questions to ask when touring senior living communities.
Overall Community Observations
A senior living tour is a perfect time to casually observe the community. Take a trusted friend or family member for a second opinion.
As you tour the community, take note of the following details:
- Cleanliness of the community, including bathrooms, common areas, living spaces, dining areas, and outside areas
- Safety features like grab bars, guard rails, ramps, and walk-in showers
- Is the staff friendly? Are they socializing with residents?
- Do residents look happy and engaged?
- Are residents participating in activities and socializing with one another?
- Services and amenities like pools, fitness centers, game rooms, dining areas
Staff Related Questions
Senior living staff should be friendly, compassionate, and accommodating to residents and their families. Make sure to ask the following questions during your tour to ensure staff members are professional and qualified:
- Do staff receive background checks?
- What are your training, education, and experience requirements?
- What’s your staff-to-resident ratio?
- Are staff available 24/7 or on call?
- What is your turnover rate?
- Do you have registered nurses, in-house physicians, or therapists?
Understanding the general rules, culture, and structure of every community you tour is crucial to making an informed decision. Make sure you get answers to the following questions:
- What types of living spaces are currently available?
- How many meals and snacks are provided daily? Are there set times for meals? Can you accommodate special diets?
- What are your emergency procedures?
- Are pets allowed?
- What are security systems in place?
- What is your move-in procedure?
- What are your on-site medical options?
- What is your pricing structure?
Today’s seniors are active and want to enjoy retirement with new experiences, long-term hobbies, and socializing with peers. Senior living communities like Notre Dame make sure their residents enjoy life with a diverse range of activities for the mind, body, and spirit!
- What types of activities/social opportunities are available to residents?
- Is there a schedule of events and activities? How do you sign up?
- Can residents request specific activities?
- Do you provide transportation to offsite events?
Contact Notre Dame Health Care for more information or to set up a tour.
About Notre Dame Health Care
Notre Dame Health Care (NDHC) offers a range of post-acute programs and services to the community, including an Assisted Living Residence; Adult & Pediatric Hospice and Palliative Care; Post-Acute Recuperation; Short-Term Rehabilitation; Skilled Nursing and traditional Long Term Care; Specialized Memory Care; and an educational resource center which serves our employees and community. We embrace the individuality, spirituality, and wholeness of each member of our community, including our residents, patients, families, volunteers, and staff.
Notre Dame Health Care is proudly non-profit and honored to carry on the mission of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur to care for the sick and vulnerable and to educate for life through our NDHC Educational Bridge Center.
Notre Dame Health Care
555-559 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605