We are approaching the holiday season! The stores are hustling and bustling with shoppers. Local communities are decked out in lights and cheer. The colder days are finally upon us.
While this may be a joyous time for many, it can also be challenging for folks who have loved ones living far away. For seniors living alone, the holidays can be especially lonely. However, that doesn’t have to be the case! Check out these helpful ideas below on how you can stay connected and spend the holidays with your elderly loved ones no matter how near or far.
Celebrate through the phone
In the grand age of technology, a simple phone call can actually make for a very cheerful holiday celebration. If you’re loved one isn’t quite as savvy to do a video call or it’s not available where they are, make the most out of your phone conversations by:
- Sharing each other’s favorite family memories from past holidays. There will be plenty of laughs and maybe even some happy tears taking a stroll down memory lane.
- Put on some of their favorite holiday music to listen to while you’re on the phone. It’s amazing how much the sound of music can lift anyone’s spirits.
- Sing! A wise man once said, “the best way to spread holiday cheer is by singing loud for all to hear.” While you’re listening to holiday music, chime in and have them sing along with you to the joyous tunes. Not only will it put a smile on their face, but it’ll be sure to put a smile on yours as well.
Celebrate through care packages
Work with your contact at your loved one’s living community to arrange a time for you to drop off a care package for your loved one this holiday. Consider including items like:
- A homemade holiday card. There’s nothing quite as special as a homemade holiday card made with love. Whether you’re putting it together yourself or getting the kids involved, get creative with adding photo collages or drawings of well wishes.
- Their favorite food. As long as you get the okay from their living community, include your loved one’s favorite holiday food. With just one bite, they’ll feel like they’re right at home again.
Whether you are traveling or staying at home during the holidays this year, all families should make a plan for how they will connect with their loved ones. Whether it be scheduled video calls so residents and their families can do their traditional Christmas readings, Facebook Live raffle drawings, or even seeing their loved ones “in person” for a visit, at Notre Dame Health Care, we make it easy for families of residents to bring holiday cheer to their loved ones. Contact us today to learn more!